Patrick McCarthy, Ph.D., J.D.
McCarthy is a Professor and our I/O Program
Director. He received his Ph.D. in I/O Psychology from
George Mason University
and his J.D. from the Nashville School
of Law. He is a licensed attorney and a member of the
American Bar Association's Labor and Employment Law Division.
Dr. McCarthy has over 25 years of HR consulting experience with a wide range of over 50 organizations such as Proctor and Gamble, State Farm Insurance, United Way, Gaylord Entertainment, Nissan, and the U.S. Department of Defense. He has previously served as Director of MTSU'S Center for Organizational and Human Resource Effectiveness (COHRE). Besides his consulting experience, Dr. McCarthy has also served on the Leadership Development Executive Board for the Tennessee State Collaborative on Reforming Education.
Program Courses Taught
- Organizational Change and Development
- Introduction to Industrial/Organizational Psychology
Office: Jones Hall 318
Phone: (615) 898-2126
- Employment Law and Fairness
- Social media's impact on employment decisions
- Sexual harassment perceptions and influence on victim characteristics
- Work-Life Balance
- Factors creating/preventing backlash to work-life accommodations
- Father's use of FMLA parental leave rights
- Culture, Attitudes, and Cognitive Influences on Performance
- Cognitive predictors of police academy performance
- Cross-cultural differences in emotional labor's impact on job satisfaction
*Please note this is not an all inclusive list of research interests